More and more people are wondering if it really exists? DVGW-512 is allegedly the standard for testing salt-free water treatment systems. In fact, one company (WATTS) is claiming (in a convoluted, round-about way) that their product is approved by DVGW-512. Check out this LINK if you want proof. While they don’t actually “LIE” they lead you to believe that their product is 99.6% effective (as stated in the test).
There are a couple of issues here, not the least of which is that the testing was done on the ORIGINAL MEDIA, but they are no longer producing the original media (from nextScaleStop). They claim it is better. I remain unconvinced. In fact, we have had more failures of their new media than their older media (and we had plenty of failures of that media as well).
Let’s not beat around the bush, the media in Watts One Flow is nextScaleStop media – they are one and the same!
Pelican™* uses the DVGW-512 standard in their website, but it turns out it is “Third Party-Tested.” What does that mean? It could mean that they gave someone some money to test it and they said it was great. But what do you expect from a company who says that their system delivers “naturally softened water,” which is totally false! Naturally softened water? Where did they get that? Look it up! According to one of the leading water experts in the country:
Naturally soft water supplies have a paucity of any dissolved minerals, or an absence of total dissolved solids (TDS), an excess of carbon dioxide over alkalinity, and generally, a low pH.
Does Pelican™ do that? Hardly! When they start with something that is not true, how much can you believe? However, I digress. Here’s the deal: I think the population can be divided into three thirds:
- People who won’t believe anything. You could tell them that the sun will rise tomorrow and they would doubt you;
- People who will believe everything. I can tell them I am Elvis and they will believe it (this is the “lunatic fringe.”); and
- People who are “open” or receptive to new and better things, if they work.
Salt-free systems are sold to to people in groups #2 and #3, which means that 50% of the customers are automatically satisfied because they will believe anything you tell them (they have been on the spaceship and have seen the little green men). These people frequently write glowing testimonials about how wonderful a product is, but if you visited their residence, you might be shocked.
What about the other third – the ones who are receptive, but not in the lunatic fringe? These are rational people who often want to be “green” or do not like carrying salt for their water softeners, but make no mistake, they are not any one’s fool! I have no hard evidence, but from what I have seen, about half of these people are happy with the salt-free water treatment systems. 50%! That’s a pretty low satisfaction rating.
Bear with me. Do the math. 50% of the people who buy salt-free systems to are in the lunatic fringe (100% customer satosfaction) and 50% are receptive (50% customer satisfaction), which means that 25% of the customers have to be refunded. What these companies do, is build in the returns into the price and sell them all day long, knowing that they will have to refund 25%, but the other 75% brings them big profits.
Fundamentally, I have a problem with pleasing the customer 75% of the time – that’s too low!
Is there validity to salt free systems using nextScaleStop and Filtersorb SP3? Yes and since nextScaleStop has changed their formula, I believe that Filtersorb and nextScaleStop are now nearly identical in performance. Ask Watts. They use both Next and Filtersorb. I will be the first to say that I believe they are equal in performance.
Pelican™? I have no clue what they use and they aren’t telling anyone. That worries me…
* – Pelican™ is a registered trademark of Pelican Water Technologies. US Water Systems has no affiliation with the company.